Dental Implants Aftercare
Dental Implants Aftercare:
- Eating: Avoid any excessive pressure onto the teeth implants/dressing area. This is very important. You should only eat soft nutritious food for two weeks. Avoid hard sticky foods. Maintain a soft, high protein diet.
- Avoid pushing your tongue near the dental implant area.
- Medication: Take antibiotics and pain relieving pills as prescribed. Finish the course of antibiotics. If you have a reaction to the medication, please contact us. Only take pain medications when needed.
- Hygiene: Avoid brushing the area with the dressing and dental implant. Don’t rinse for one week after the surgery, after one week you can start rinsing with Medicated Mouthwash twice a day. This keeps the teeth implant area clean and undisturbed.
- Exercise: Avoid physical exertion (i.e. sports, heavy lifting etc). This can cause bleeding around the dental implant.
- Alcohol: Avoid alcohol for 2 weeks as this can affect the healing of the tissues around the dental implant.
- Smoking: Avoid smoking for 3 days before treatment and 2 weeks after as this will also slow down the healing process around the teeth implant.
- Food & Drink: Avoid very hot drinks and spicy/acidic foods. Do not eat hard crusty foods as this can cause more pressure on the implant.
- Do not use a toothpick or touch the dental implant area with your tongue.
- Ice packs: A cold icepack should be applied externally over the teeth implant treated area as much as possible for the first three days. This helps reduce swelling.
- If you currently wear a denture, we may modify the denture to fit over the implants. The denture will be loose. The loose denture will protect the gums and implants.